BLG is home to one of the largest and most experienced derivatives practices in North America, advising clients that transact in the derivatives markets in Canada and throughout the world. We also represent clients before Canadian regulators.
We can help you with:
- novel derivative-based product structuring
- development and negotiation of documentation
- regulatory compliance
- tri-party collateral control practices
- establishing derivative trading platforms and marketplaces
We advise on compliance and registration requirements for, and negotiate derivative documentation with, sell-side and buy-side market participants.
We sit on the Ontario Securities Commission Advisory Committee and provide advice to the OSC on legislative and policy initiatives involving derivatives and the regulation of novel products. We are the sole legal counsel on the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada Crypto-Asset Working Group, which focuses on using the existing OTC derivatives framework to further the retail offering of digital assets. We are also the sole legal counsel on the Investment Industry Association of Canada Derivatives Committee and have been engaged to comment on the Derivatives Modernization Project and its impact on the dealer community.
Our clients include a wide variety of derivative end-users and dealers, including:
- investment funds and asset managers
- pension funds
- financial institutions and insurance companies
- commodity producers, real estate firms, risk management firms and other corporate end-users
- investment dealers
- futures commission merchants
- market intermediaries
- crypto market participants
BLG has been recognized as Canadian Law Firm of the Year in the Regulatory category, at the 2021 GlobalCapital Americas Derivatives Awards. Since its inception in 2014, GlobalCapital has every year recognized BLG as a leader among Canada’s law firms.